We've all either seen them, or had them at one point, and they are a very cost-efficient way to provide shade. I've been staring at them for almost two years trying to decide how to replace them without breaking the bank. I appreciate custom shades, but honestly at $700+ (depending on fabric and shape) per window and 4 windows, there had to be a better way. Enter the DIY roman shade. One shade cost me $30 in fabric and glue and took about 30 minutes to complete.
|First step was to cut the fabric so the stripes matched up vertically across. I cut the fabric face up to make sure the pattern was even.|
|Ready to go|
|Flipped over the shade|
|Used staples to attach fabric to bottom rod and cut excess fabric|
|Instead of Fabri-Tac, I decided on Scotch Maximum Strength Adhesive....it isn't as sticky as Fabri-Tac, and dries quickly. I pulled the sides tight and glued to edge of the shade's lining.|
|Cut fabric to match up the stripes on the top of the shade|
|All finished. Considering that it truly is a "recovered" shade, I think it looks pretty cute ;). I have three more windows with shades that will be recovered this week. Will post pic when they are finished.|