Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mermaid

So, I DIY'd.  Yes, it is funky, and no, hubs hasn't seen it yet.  Tomorrow I'll make a mad dash to find a 24x36 frame to finish it out and will post the final product.  I would LOVE a mirrored frame....will have to go on the hunt.  Scroll down for pics of my "mermaid" while in the works!

It is finished, but needs a frame:)




The blog post from Babble said to cut shiny poster board into circles, then spray paint gold.  While at Michaels, I went exploring in the scrap booking aisle and found lots of lovely card stock in various colors and lusters.....including a shiny gold.  So, for $0.49 a card (which yielded about 2 rows of "scales"), I had immediate colors to work with.  Above was my original plan....tracing my Wrights Silver polish container as the perfect circle size. 

ahhhhh......the magic of an extra large punch.  About 2 pages into my circle tracing and cutting, I realized this was going to take a while.  Thanks to my very creative friends at Trio Design Studio, and a lovely glass of Cabernet, my brain became unfrozen and I heeded their advice to use a PUNCH.  Look at all the fun colors to play with! 
After playing around with all the fun colors, I decided on a lime green and gold combination.  Using Fabri-tac glue, I mounted the circles onto a 24x36 foam poster board making the "scales" then trimmed the edges.  The key to making it look even more "scaly" and textured is to lightly flip up the scales.

No comments:

Post a Comment